Bioengineering, Biomechanics, Implantable & Wearable Devices, Orthopaedic Surgery, Rehabilitation, Regenerative Medicine, Sport Medicine
Dr Jim Dickey's biomechanics research intersects biology and engineering. His research has several foci, including joint injuries, occupational whole-body vibration and concussion.
1. Holland, S., Dickey, J., Ferreira, L., & Lalone, E. (2020). Investigating the grip forces exerted by individuals with and without hand arthritis while swinging a golf club with the use of a new wearable sensor technology. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part P: Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology, 234(3): 205-216. DOI: 10.1177/1754337120923838
2. Manning KY, Brooks JS, Dickey JP, Harriss A, Fischer L, Jevremovic T, Blackney K, Barreira C, Brown A, Bartha R, Doherty T, Fraser D, Holmes J, Dekaban GA, Menon RS. Longitudinal changes of brain microstructure and function in non-concussed female rugby players. Neurology. 95(4): e402-e412, 2020. DOI: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000009821
3. Barkwell GE, Dickey JP. Different Lower-Limb Setup Positions Do Not Consistently Change Backstroke Start Time to 10 m. Sports. 8(4): 43 (15 pages), 2020. DOI: 10.3390/sports8040043
4. Harriss, A., Johnson, A.M., Thompson, J., Walton, D.M., Dickey, J.P. Cumulative soccer heading amplifies the effects of brain activity observed during concurrent moderate exercise and continuous performance task in female youth soccer players. Journal of Concussion. 4:1-9, 2020. DOI 10.1177/2059700220912654
5. Versteegh, T.H., Dickey, J.P., Emery, C.A., Fischer, L.K., MacDermid, J.C., Walton, D.M. Evaluating the effects of a novel neuromuscular neck training device on multi-planar static and dynamic neck strength: A pilot study. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 34(4): 708-716, 2020. DOI: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000003091
6. Brooks, J., Smith, W., Webb, B., Heath, M., Dickey, J.P. Development and validation of a high-speed video system for measuring saccadic eye movement. Behavior Research Methods. 51(5):2302-2309, 2019. DOI 10.3758/s13428-019-01197-2
7. Harriss, A.B., Abbott, K., Kimpinski, K., Holmes, J.D., Johnson, A.M., Walton, D.M., Dickey, J.P. An Evaluation of Heart Rate Variability in Female Youth Soccer Players Following Soccer Heading: A Pilot Study. Sports. 7:229 (7 pages), 2019. DOI: 10.3390/sports7110229
8. Donskov, A.S., Humphreys, D., Dickey, J.P. What is Injury In Ice Hockey: An Integrative Literature Review on Injury Rates, Injury Definition, and Athlete Exposure in Men’s Elite Ice Hockey. Sports. 7:227 (23 pages), 2019. DOI: 10.3390/sports7110227
9. Harriss, A., Johnson, A.M., Walton, D.M., Dickey, J.P. The number of purposeful headers female youth soccer players experience during games depends on player age but not player position. Science and Medicine in Football. 3(2):109-114, 2019. DOI: 10.1080/24733938.2018.1506591.
10. Caryn, R.C., Dickey, J.P. Transmission of Acceleration from a Synchronous Vibration Exercise Platform to the Head During Dynamic Squats. Dose-Response. 7(1): 1-7, 2019. DOI: 10.1177/1559325819827467
11. Goddard, E.C., Dickey, J.P. Exercise Acutely Improves Dynamic Balance in Individuals with Unilateral Knee Osteoarthritis. International Journal of Human Movement and Sports Science. 7(1):5-11, 2019. DOI: 10.13189/saj.2019.070102
12. Harriss, A., Johnson, A.M., Walton, D.M., Dickey, J.P. Head impact magnitudes that occur from purposeful soccer heading depend on the game scenario and head impact location. Musculoskeletal Science and Practice. 40:53-57, 2019. DOI: 10.1016/j.msksp.2019.01.009